Graphene enhanced lubricants are said to improve engine life by performing measurably better than regular motor oil.
This product was included in the “Graphene Commercialization” video by Terrance Barkan (Graphene Council) for June 2019. This is one a series of case study examples that show promise in existing markets where graphene is being used as an additive.
“NTherma’s Graphene Lubricants are ultra-high purity graphene nano-platelets for use as lubricant additive materials. Graphene enhances the lubricant properties of base engine oil, helping to improve engine performance at various operating temperatures.
Graphene-based lubricant additives improve wear resistance, extend engine life, increase fuel efficiency, and increase engine power. With high surface area and high affinity for metal surfaces, graphene nano particles enable penetration and coating of wear crevices (surface asperities) forming a thin protective film between moving mechanical parts.
Our patent-pending manufacturing method for graphene produces controlled particle size for consistent and predictable qualities such as lubricity, viscosity, and most importantly, stable suspension and dispersion in oil.
- Ultra high purity & high uniformity graphene with predictable characteristics
- Excellent solution dispersion in oil
- Excellent shelf life in oil
- Low loading requirements of about 0.25 g of graphene per liter of oil
- Nano-sized particles won’t clog filters
- Enhance the properties of conventional and synthetic oil
– Improve lubricity properties
– Increase wear resistance of engine components
– Boost fuel efficiency”
Read more NTherma Graphene Lubricants
Source: NTherma. The Graphene Council
‘The Future of Graphene Commercialization’ June 2019 Video which mentions the Graphene enhanced lubricants and a number of other graphene products. Barkan talks about 40 different potential markets for graphene related products and also includes a number of case studies.